You’ve written it down, think it is brilliant (or at least passable) and now it’s time to edit. Editing 101 can help.
It’s difficult to edit your own work for several reasons.
- First, it’s your baby. This makes revising, redrafting and cutting difficult.
- Second, you’re too close. You know what you meant to say.
- Third, humans make mistakes.
The ability to self-edit is critical. Whether it’s a business letter or a heart-pounding novel, learning how to self-edit is an important skill.
In this course you’ll learn how to place the most important information up front and unpack the rest as you go.
You’ll have fun learning about words with two meanings, passive sentences, how to remove bad habits and repetitive words. Then there are sentence fragments, misplaced modifiers and . . . well, let’s just say we cover quite a bit.
You’ll learn about style guides and when to properly use quotes and italics and when to not use them.
At the end of this course you should be confident enough to make the switch from writer to editor brain, and make your work shine.
What to expect:
- This is a two hour Zoom class.
- Attendees will be emailed the course materials and instructions on where and how to log-in online before the course start date.
- There is a chat space for questions, which the instructor monitor’s and answers. Live questions are more than welcome.
- Best taken with Written Voice, Grammar Refresher, Punctuation Refresher and Brevity Classes.
Sign Up Details for Editing 101
Dates: December 1, 2020
Time: 6 – 8 pm PST (Pacific Standard Time)
Cost: $50 plus GST ($52.50)
NOTE: Should you prefer to pay via eTransfer instead of thru PayPal, please email Darcy first to ensure there are spaces left.
Visit Zoom online and choose Download for Meetings. Please check your connection before classes start.
Interested in classes similar to this one? Email us and let us know what courses you’d like to see!
For more choices, go to our online writing classes page.